Types of Fire Extinguishers and how to use them
It is important for your safety to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, but also that you have the RIGHT type to put out the most common house fires. It is recommended that you have one fire extinguisher on each level of your home. If you don’t know how to use a fire extinguisher, don’t worry about it. You can go to the Decatur fire department and they can train you.
Remember the word PASS
- Pull- Pull the pin
- Aim- Aim low at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze- Squeeze the lever above the handle.
- Sweep- Sweep from side to side.
There are several classes of fire and you should use a specific type of fire extinguisher for each
- Class A- Ordinary combustibles (wood, paper, textiles)
- Class B- Flammable liquids (gasoline, diesel, oils)
- Class C- Electrical appliances and tools
- Class D- Flammable metals
- Class K- Vegetable oils, animal oils, or fats in cooking appliances
For your home, it is recommended that you get a multi-purpose fire extinguisher Class ABC.
Image Credit http://www.sdfire.in/training.html