Tips to protect your basement from storm damage and flooding
Weather incidents account for more than half of all homeowners’ insurance claims according to the Insurance Journal. If you don’t want your beautiful finished basement to become an indoor pool after a bad storm… follow these tips.
- Prevention and maintenance is key.
- Try to keep as much of that rain water away from your home.
- Look at the grade of your backyard and make sure it slopes away from your home (and not towards your basement)
- Clean the gutters regularly
- Repair any cracks in the wall or floor
- Invest in a sump pump
- Review your insurance policy and check for flood insurance
- Ask your security company about flood sensors. New technology allows you to monitor your basement from your phone.