Thunderstorm Safety and How to Prepare
Thunderstorms can happen nearly anywhere around the world and have the potential to be extremely dangerous. The typical thunderstorm is 15 miles in diameter and lasts an average of 30 minutes; nearly 1,800 thunderstorms are happening at any moment around the world! Although thunderstorms can occur year-round they are more common during the spring and summer months.
WATCH VS. WARNING
- A watch is issued when conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms in and around the watch area. It does not mean that a thunderstorm will occur, only that it is possible.
- A warning is issued when severe thunderstorms are occurring or imminent in the warning area.
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communication plan.
- Keep dead or rotting limbs trimmed to prevent them from falling during a storm.
- Do not hesitate to postpone outdoor activities.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Shutter your windows and secure outside doors.
- Unplug any electronic equipment well before the storm arrives!
If your home or business is damaged from a storm call SERVPRO of Decatur at 404-378-9998.
Understanding Mold Remediation
Give us a call at 404-378-9998!
Here at SERVPRO we are trained mold damage specialists who get started quickly to tackle any mold problems you are having in your home or business. We are a qualified restoration company that understands the science behind mold and mold growth.
When signs of mold growth are found we initially are concerned with stopping the source of water feeding the mold such as a leaking hot water heater, or busted pipe. Once that source is no longer leaking we use air scrubbers to remove the particles from the air, and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of mold spores while the mold remediation is in process. Our next step is to make sure to apply an antimicrobial treatment in order to eliminate the mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. We also find t very important to completely get rid of and replace any infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting.
If you have concerns about mold in your property call SERVPRO of Decatur and let us help you!
When the "What If" becomes "What Now"...Emergency Ready Profile
Get an ERP for your commercial property today!
Managing a property or being a landlord is not a 9 to 5 job! Problems do not care if you are supposed to be on vacation; they can arise 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Be prepared before an emergency happens with our Emergency Ready Plan.
A large chunk of businesses actually have to close down following a disaster. Of the businesses that do survive the majority of them had some form of preparedness plan in place before the disaster struck their building. SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Profile helps your business to have a plan in place to know exactly how to handle fire and water damage as it is occurring.
To learn more about SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Profile you can visit http://ready.SERVPRO.com or call SERVPRO of Decatur at 404-378-9998.
Fire Prevention Tips for the Workplace
In the event of a fire give us a call at 404-378-9998
We all know how quickly we can get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the work place and forget to stop and consider the important things we need to be consistently doing in order to keep the work place as safe as possible. Here are a couple fire prevention tips to keep in mind even while we are busy at work…
- Keep your work area free of waste paper, trash, and other items that can easily catch fire.
- Turn off electrical appliances at the end of each day.
- Do NOT overload your circuits.
- Periodically check your electrical cords, and replace any damaged cords immediately.
By following these tips you can greatly reduce the chances of an office fire, but in the event of a fire you should have an evacuation plan posted all around the building. Once everyone is safely removed from the building and the fire has been put out then you can call SERVPRO of Decatur to help mitigate the damages and make your building feel “Like it never even happened.”
Summer Fire Prevention Tips
If you need help cleaning up after a fire call SERVPRO of Decatur at 404-378-9998.
Household fires can start from a variety of ways, especially during the hot summer months when people are hosting barbecues and firing up their grill. There are potential sources of fire all throughout a household that many homeowners tend to overlook. Here are a few safety tips to prevent fire in several different areas of you home:
- Clean out the lint buildup on the lint filter after every load of laundry.
- Only dry items that are safe to be put in a dryer.
- Fire Pits
- When building a fire pit strategically place it at least 10 feet from any structure.
- Build your fire pit on a solid surface that is away from overhanging trees.
- NEVER leave the fireplace unattended.
- Gas Grills
- Place the grill outside, at a reasonable distance from the house.
- Constantly check the grill’s propane hoses durability.
- Never light a gas grill with the lid closed.
How to Rescue Residential Stonework from Fire Damage
When a fire breaks out in your home the main concern is to put it out and then repair all of the damages to the inside of your home. But if you have experienced a moderate to severe fire it is very likely that these incidents have lead to visible marks and blemished on the outside of your home as well.
The good news is that stains on stonework, concrete and other structural materials can almost always be fixed. While brick and concrete are not indestructible, they are extremely sturdy and do not usually crack under the pressure of heat! Therefore we can use straightforward cleaning techniques to restore the outside of your property. Below are three levels of stains that might occur to the outside of your building if you experience a fire:
If there is no structural damage, our SERVPRO technicians can use mild cleaning agents to wash the soot and smoke damage off the surface.
The problem with soot is that it can be very acidic and if it is not removed from a structure quickly there is a chance of corrosive residues becoming embedded deep into your stonework. This is why SERVPRO makes sure to pay very close attention to cracked joints.
The most severe staining occurs when heavily combustible materials have caught fire and burned for some time. When this happens, jet washing is usually a suitable method for cleaning up the stains!
If you need help restoring your home after a fire give SERVPRO of Decatur a call at 404-378-9998.
SERVPRO of Decatur is a Certified Large Loss Response Team
SERVPRO disaster recovery truck!
SERVPRO of Decatur has been certified as a SERVPRO, Inc. Large Loss Provider! This means we can handle losses of any size, large or small!
The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help whether you're dealing with a tornado, hurricane, blizzard or flood. The SERVPRO System has a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you. Available 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are prepared for the unpredictable.
At SERVPRO, the difference is our ability to dispatch trained production professionals and cut costs through the strategic placement. Get help from the professionals; call SERVPRO of Decatur at 404-378-9998.
With the ability to mobilize local command centers, along with the resources of more than 1,700 Franchises nationwide, no disaster is too big. We are ready for your phone call!
Three Ways to Prevent Storm Damage to Your Home
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Decatur!
An unexpected storm can hit your town at any day throughout the year. While it is hard to prepare on the spot when a storm is headed your way there are several preventative measures you can take ahead of time to minimize the risk of damage to your home when severe weather does hit. According to MoonWorks here are three steps you can take before a major storm hits your town.
- Remove Dead Wood.
By trimming the trees around your home on a regular basis there is less of a chance for heavy limbs to fall on and damage your home when large winds blow through.
- Secure Outdoor Items.
When you are aware of a storm coming your way try to put all loose items such as grills, picnic tables, umbrellas, and lawn furniture inside in order to prevent damage to these items or a nearby window.
- Inspect Roof Periodically.
A brand new roof should be able to withstand most weather that comes it way, but if your roof is more like 5-10 years old it might be time to get it checked for loose shingles, nails and sheathing. It is better to go ahead and fix these small aspects of your roof now then to have to pay for the extensive damages when a big storm hits.
How to Prevent Mold in Your Home
Give us a call at 404-378-9998.
Unless you are attempting to make blue cheese or penicillin, mold is not something that you want to be messing with or run across in your home or business. Mold can grow anywhere with a lot of moisture present, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes as well as paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mold can be a difficult and costly problem to fix, but it also can produce harmful allergens and irritants that can compromise your health.
According to the Mother Nature Network here are nine ways to prevent moisture indoors, and the mold that thrives on it.
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them.
- Dry wet areas immediately.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation.
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products.
- Monitor humidity indoors.
- Direct water away from your home.
- Clean or repair roof gutters.
- Improve air flow in your home.
- Keep mold off household plants.
If you are having issues with mold growth in your home or business, SERVPRO of Decatur is here to help!
Commercial Water Damages
Water damage can strike your commercial property in Decatur when you are least expecting it. Water damage can happen in a variety of ways including a broken or leaking water line or even a weather related event.
If your property ever experiences water damage here are some tips on how to deal with the damage safely and efficiently.
- Turn off the electricity.
- Do NOT use home vacuums to attempt to remove water in order to avoid the risk of electric shock.
- Wash your hands after coming into contact with damaged items.
Steps to take before professionals arrive:
- Attempt to stop the water at its source.
- Mop up excess water from floors.
- Take out wet cushions from chairs or other furniture.
- Move art and other decorations to a dry area to prevent them being damaged.
- Take a deep breath, because the professionals at SERVPRO of Decatur is on the way to help you deal with the damage!